The GeoCool GCHP01090V is a commercial geothermal heat pump designed, obviously, for commercial applications. Like most ground source units, it can heat, cool, and dehumidify. What differentiates the GCHP01090V from other commercial units? Is it a solid buy? Should you look elsewhere?
Let’s dig a little deeper.
GeoCool GCHP01090V Pros
- This commercial ground source unit is fairly energy efficient with a cooling EER between 14.0 and 23.0 dependent on installation type (e.g. – water loop, ground water, etc). A standard ground loop system will operate at around 16.1 EER, which can be a nice boost if you’re currently relying on an outdated system.
- The pump features a copper-nickel coil inside a stainless steel cabinet. The cabinet is also insulated. That can be a great benefit when the unit has to operate close to where customers or employees will be spending their time.
- The GCHP01090V comes with a 10-year compressor warranty and a 5-year parts warranty. This is a reasonable amount of warranty coverage for a commercial HVAC unit.
- The unit also features a stainless steel drain pan, all the lock-out and cut-out switches you would expect, LED diagnostics, and other features.
GeoCool GCHP01090V Cons
- This is a big 7-ton unit with a reasonable energy efficiency standard. That is good. However, this is not the cheapest unit on the market. If you’re trying to minimize spending on a new HVAC unit, this may not be the system for you. Of course, you probably shouldn’t be looking at ground source heat pumps when you’re trying to cut your costs.
- Like a lot of commercial units, the GeoCool GCHP01090V comes with the basic features you would expect, but not a lot of bells and whistles. If you want a system with the latest “Internet of Things” smart technology, you’ll have to look elsewhere. And you’ll have to pay more, but that’s a different issue altogether.
- The warranty terms require the unit be installed by a licensed contractor. Most businesses won’t have a problem with this, but it is something entrepreneurs interested in DIY should be aware of.
What’s the Bottom Line?
The GeoCool GCHP01090V geothermal heat pump is a solid entry into the commercial ground source HVAC market. It’s not flashy or fancy. It’s a unit that gets the job done with reliable energy efficiency ratings in multiple installations and reliable warranty support. If that’s what you’re looking for, this might be the unit for you.